Saturday, February 27, 2010

so... what is "Thy Will"?

Really, it's a valid question. Why do we pray that "Thy Will be done" when we know that His Will will be done? Is it a hope that no matter our mistakes and failures God's supremacy over everything will still bring us to where He wants us to be? Is it just a reminder to ourselves that His Will is what we should desire? Or is it just some sort of formality, recognizing God's power?

Honestly, I think we forget the power of His Will sometimes. I know I do. I believe that, theoretically, I can make mistakes and still end up where God wants me to be. We could get into this "well, how can you make mistakes that aren't in His Will when His Will is always occuring" or whatever, but that's a debate over misnomers and dichotomies and*insert big words here*. Here, I understand that God is victorious over everything, and man is fallen. Man has a free will, but God is supreme. Complicated, confusing, debatable, whatever.. you can get over it, or stop reading. =)

Many people have questions about what happens if they disobeyed God.
Here are hypothetical situations that many people have experience:
Example #1: Choosing college: I felt called to go to University A, but in my selfishness I said yes to University B, and I am now attending University B.

Sometimes God makes it impossible to make the wrong decision. Like he would have University B decline you, or University B lost all your paperwork and blames it on you... or they wont give you money. But sometimes God says "well, alright. whatever." And lets you make mistakes. But does that mean that you are officially "out of God's Will" and you'll end up some place where you're just miserable and lonely? I don't think so. I think you will end up exactly where God has always planned for you to be, it just might not be what God really really wanted for you.

Example #2: dating and marriage: So I was dating this dude, but I did something bad and ruined our relationship, and we are now no longer together. What if he was the one I was supposed to marry? Did I ruin my chances of happiness with my true love?

Now there are many possibilities and situational issues in this one. But the main question here is "what if he was the one I was supposed to marry?" and my question back is "Do you not believe that God is sovereign over your mistakes, too?" If he's the one you're supposed to marry, then God will work through the issues to make the future marriage more amazing.

This is debatable, I know, as is about everything else I've said, but this is what I believe. I believe that in the end, I will be who, what, and where I'm supposed to be, though I may have taken different pathways than what God wanted for me.

This is what His Will is.
When we pray "Thy Will be done" we are stating that it WILL be done, no matter what. We are reminding ourselves that God is greater than the mistakes we make.

"For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men." -1 Corinthians 1:25

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!?!?!
It means He is greater than me, it means He is greater than us, it means that EVEN if God were a fool, He'd be smarter than any one of us. EVEN IF God were weak, He'd STILL be stronger than all of us. ISN'T THAT AMAZING?

ISN'T GOD AMAZING?
(can I get an AMEN?)

This verse reminds me that God is so so so so SO sovereign over EVERYTHING. SO glorious and wonderful and awesome and powerful that when we wee-little things make mistakes, God says "well, alright, I don't want you to go that way because I love you, but you'll still end up where you're supposed to be, because I love you and you are mine."

IT'S SO AWESOMMMMME.

Praise the Lord God!! HALLELUJAH!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very good author. And you are absolutely right about God's Will. His Will will be done whether we like it or not and that's all there is to it. =)

    ReplyDelete