Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Feeling vs. Knowing

So here's something that's been on my mind for a while.

I've really been considering the difference between thinking and feeling. For girls, this is a weird thing to deal with, taking into account that we females tend to revolve around our emotions. But what we as Christ-following females have to understand is that we can NOT depend on our emotions for things.

I believe that while emotions can catalyze our relationship with Christ, it can also severely hinder it if not under control. Notice the words: if not under control. If emotions and feelings are kept in check and seem rational, they're good. If we let them take over everything, they're NOT good.

It's important for us to match up what we feel with what we know. If what we know supports our emotion, then it's a good emotion, while if what we know does not support our emotion, then it's a bad emotion.

Let me illustrate:

I feel joyful and loved. I know that God loves me and I have many things to be thankful for.
I am feeling a good emotion.

I feel happy that I stole those candles from Yankee Candle. I know that God tells us not to steal.
I am feeling a bad emotion.

...and yes, I'm spelling this out like a kindergarten teacher...

But here, let's make things more complicated and more real-life.

You know when you "feel" alone and you "feel" like God isn't on your side? You write depressing songs about depression and loneliness and independence that (for some reason) everyone likes. But think for a second: what do you know? Do you recall that God promises to never leave you and to always love you? He never promised you perfect days, but He asks you to bring Him glory in all situations. (I think of "Desert Song" in this situation)

Or how about this, worldly children. You know that girl/guy that you're attracted to. Yeah, they're nice and sweet, but how is their faith? Oh, but they ARE cute. But... what do you know about their faith? You feel like you should be with them, but what do you know? You KNOW that if they're not edifying you, you should not take part in that relationship. With some time spent with God and in the word, I'm sure you'd come to that same conclusion.

Just think about it sometimes: is what I'm feeling supported by what I know from the Bible? From what God has told me?

Seriously. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment